Leaning on the rock of the mountain almost at the top of Cape Koutoulos, integrated to the wild landscape and made of earthy materials, this elongated residence, protected from the northern wind, overlooks the Western Cretan Sea towards the South. A robust L-shaped wall made of stone serves as a continuation of the mountain and defines the arrangement of all the indoor spaces. Two clean volumes, one consisting of the living room, kitchen and dining room and the other consisting of the bedroom suites, are interconnected through a long semi-open living area, starting from the rock and ending on an elevated platform floating between the mountain and the sea, the sky and the earth. Grey coloured bare concrete in the slabs, clay coating in the colour of the soil on the outside walls, rusty metal, natural wood in the pergolas and local natural stone are the basic materials used.
The large sliding windows of the living room, unify the interior with the exterior and create a big, open, covered with a pergola living space that connected with the semi-outdoor. An elongated water element, created alongside the main areas of the house, sets the boundaries for the steep slope, the view and the sea. Pergolas and canopies from metal and wood complete the design. The visible concrete on the plates, the clay with the colour of soil on the exterior walls, the kourasanit with the colour of sand on the interior wall, the rusty metals, the crooked wood on the pergolas and the natural dry stone are the main materials of the house. The planting is like a continuation of the mountain above. Four bedrooms with an interior bathroom each, a kitchen, a dining room, a living room and a WC in a unified space, form the interior spaces of the house. Pergolas, a pool accessed from all the spaces, an exterior BBQ, a dining room and a sitting area on the platform and the protected semi-outdoor with the fireplace, contribute on a relaxed living-dialogue with nature.
- Study: 2014-2019
- Construction: 2019
- Plot area: 4.800 sq.m.
- Building Surface: 216.00 sq.m.
- Study Coordinator: Nikos Lykoudis
- Architects: Nikos Lykoudis, Ismene Papaspiliopoulou, Marina Gkolfomitsou, Konstantinos Platyrrachos, Katerina Argyropoulou, Eleftheria Chatzi
- Structural engineer: Apostolos Andreadis
- Decoration: Manos Kypritidis
- Photo: George Anastassakis
Hotel Equipment Suppliers:
- Garden furniture: Home Deco, Homad
- Outside flooring: Inalco, Bagno Y Bagno
- Pool fixtures: NIKI Pools
- Garden lightning: Bright Lighting SA, Kostis Lighting
- Garden fireplace: Tsokas Stoves & Fireplaces
- Facade: Kourasanit
- Isolations: Knauf, Papagrigorakis, “Neodomi”
- Kitchen: Kitchen Gallery
- Bedroom: Home Deco, Homad
- Bathroom: Bagno Y Bagno
- Living room: Home Deco, Homad
- Lightning: Bright Lighting SA, Kostis Lighting
- Wall covering: Kourasanit, Vivechrom
- Doors and windows: EXALCO
- Floors: Bango Y' Bagno